Chaco Culture National Historical Park Quarter D – 2012
A “D” minted Chaco Culture National Historical Park quarter. The Chaco Culture National Historical Park quarter is the second of the 2012 America the Beautiful Quarters from the U.S. Mint. The park was first established as a national site on March 11, 1907 and honors the Pueblo Indian peoples of New Mexico, the Hopi Indians of Arizona and the Navajo Indians of the southwest and features the Chaco Canyon, a 40,000 square-mile region in the Four Corners area from A.D. 850 to 1150. The Chaco Culture National Historical Park is known for the remarkable multi-storied public buildings called “great houses,” enormous circular ceremonial subterranean structures called “great kivas,” and distinctive architecture featuring a notable concentration of petroglyphs and pictographs. The reverse of the quarter illustrates a view to the west of two elevated kivas that are part of the Chetro Ketl Complex. The design also shows the north wall of Chetro Ketl and the north wall of the canyon. Inscriptions on the quarter include: CHACO CULTURE, NEW MEXICO, 2012 and E PLURIBUS UNUM.